THE HISTORY OF THE
HEISLERVILLE VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY
The first meeting of the Heislerville Volunteer Fire Company was held on July 10, 1952 at the Community Hall. The company began with one truck, a 1936 Chevrolet. A fund was started on July 31, 1952 to raise money to build a fire hall. In August of 1952, Herb Sayre donated land for the hall and construction began on August 25, 1952. The fire company was incorporated on October 16, 1952. The company responded to its first fire on April 9, 1953, a grass fire.
Work continued on the fire hall and the company moved into the hall in April of 1954. In November of that year, a special meeting was held to approve the purchase of a 1941 Ford 700 Gallon tanker truck. The next piece of equipment acquired was a 1952 GMC, purchased from the NJ Fire Equipment Company on January 7, 1961.
In December 1964, the fire company took over the Heislerville School building and property for “social use.” Over the next 10 years, it was used by the Menhaden Marksman Club, Cub Scouts and various other groups.
In February of 1967, due to an increase in the budget from the township, the fire companies decided to organize a township Fire Association. One of the goals of the association was to work to get Bingo on the ballot at the next election.
The first Commissioners election was held on Friday, February 15, 1969. Louis Peterson, Walter Tomlin, George Chance and Russell Sachleben were elected.
In November of 1972, Heislerville was assigned “District 25” by Cumberland County for use on fire radios.
On February 18, 1974, approval was carried to buy a 1974 Ford 750 Cab & Chassis. Ezra Cox began working to transfer the body from the GMC truck over to the new chassis.
The company began accepting 16 and 17 year olds in April of 1974 as Junior Firemen.
In May of 1975, a motion was carried to tear down the Heislerville School. Demolition began in June.
Another piece of equipment was added in March of 1976, when a 1969 Ford Van was purchased. In June the following year, a purchase was approved for a 1965 Ford Cabover.
In January of 1981, the fire company took over the community hall from the Community Association. They borrowed money for improvements in preparation for starting Bingo. The first Bingo game was held on April 1, 1981.
In May of 1985, a 1956 Diamond Rio T was purchased from Estelle Manor to replace the 1941 GMC.
The company acquired a 1972 Dodge 600 Tank Truck from federal surplus in November of 1991. The truck would become affectionately known as “the black truck.”
In June of 1991, a 1971 Young was added to the fleet.
A 1990 Ford E-350 van was purchased in October 2000 and was equipped as a rescue truck.
The Heislerville Volunteer Fire Company currently operates a 2001 Marion Pumper, a 2005 Freightliner tender/pumper, a 2000 Freightliner tender and a 2012 F-550 light rescue truck.